Are you relying too much on your air conditioner unit this summer that your electric bill has gone up badly? Yes? Try these suggestions which can help you stay cool without burning holes in your pockets.
1. Utilize blinds, curtains and shades. Did you know that 30% of unwanted heat inside your house comes from your windows? By guarding you windows, you can lower the temperature by 20% and save
upto 7 percent of your electric bills.
2. Change your sheets according to the season. Do you still have the flannel sheets and fleece blankets in your bedroom? Get rid of them now as you won't insulation during the hot summer nights. Replace them with cotton ones. Instead of the traditional pillows, try using buckwheat pillows as they allow air space in them.
3. Open your windows during the night. Cool wind and temperature drop can happen during summer nights. Open your window and let some air in so you can sleep comfortably at night. Don't forget to put the blinds down just in case you're still in bed until the sun rises.
4. Make a switch to compact fluorescent lamps. If you're still using incandescent lights, now is the perfect time to give them up and make the switch to CFLs. Apart from decreasing the heat level inside your house, CFLs can help you save a lot on your energy bills.
5. Think green. This may fall under a long term plan on making your residence more comfortable every summer season. Start planting shade trees, tall shrubs or vines in your backyard today. It will take some time for you to reap the benefits of this practice but you could enjoy such benefits for a lifetime.
6. Open all doors inside your house. Keep the doors of rooms inside your house shut during summer won't help solve your heat problem. Allow air from outside to circulate from one room to another. This will make your home cooler.